Road Accident Fund (RAF)

Thusanang and the RAF

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) is responsible for providing appropriate
cover to all road users within the borders of South Africa. Thusanang Enabling Support Services has been assisting the RAF disabled claimants for well over 5 years and we’ve brought many smiles to many families in their times of need.

Requirements For A Successful Claim:

  • We require an Undertaking Certificate from you the claimant;
  • A copy of your SA I.D;
  • The name, surname and contact details of your Case Manager;
  • Your full names, address and contact details.

After you have submitted all the required information, one of our agents will give you a call to take your specific medical consumables order, which will be for a period of three months after they have been pre-authorised by the RAF regions.

Your medical consumables will then be delivered by us to your door step anywhere in South Africa.

About The Road Accident Fund (RAF)

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) is a state-supported insurance fund that provides compensation to the victims of road accidents in South Africa.

Every time you purchase petrol or diesel, you automatically contribute to a statutorily prescribed levy, which is used to finance the fund. The RAF provides personal injury and, when applicable, death compensation to those injured in motor vehicle accidents, provided the accidents weren’t caused solely by them. The person responsible for the accident is also, in terms of the RAF legislation, indemnified against any claims for compensation for bodily injury (save for so-called “emotional shock” claims).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Some of the most frequently asked questions are related to the undertaking process. You can find answers to all of the below questions on the official RAF website. If anything is still unclear a Thusanang representative will gladly assist you.

Where is the undertakings department situated?
What time period is there to submit a claim?
Who is entitled to submit a claim in terms of the undertaking?
What can you claim in terms of the undertaking?
How is the claim submitted?
What documents must be submitted with the claim?

Answers to frequently asked questions relating to who is able to claim in the event of an accident can be found on the RAF website here. Questions answered on the site include:

Who is entitled to make a claim?
What is the time period in which you can submit a claim?
What can you claim in terms of the undertaking?

The RAF Mandate

The RAF is a juristic person established by an Act of Parliament, namely, the Road Accident Fund Act, 1996 (Act No. 56 of 1996) as amended (”RAF Act”). It commenced operations on 1 May 1997, assuming at the time, all the rights, obligations, assets and liabilities of the Multilateral Motor Vehicle Accidents Fund.

The RAF is responsible for providing​ appropriate cover to all road users within the borders of South Africa; rehabilitating and compensating persons injured as a result of motor vehicles in a timely and caring manner; and actively promoting the safe use of all South African roads. Section 3 of the RAF Act stipulates that “the object of the Fund shall be the payment of compensation in accordance with this Act for loss or damage wrongfully caused by the driving of a motor vehicle”.